Sunday, November 17, 2013

Buying a Video Camera

I started looking at getting a better camera that would make some decent videos,
after some research I found some of the independent film makers use the Nikon D90,

Nikon D90 - I found a used one on craigslist with a tripod and some other accessories for $450

Three other lower priced high quality cameras that are used for movies:

Pentax K series

Canon T2i or T3i

Canon 60D

The problem with these cameras is that they are big and heavy to carry around, they require set up to really use properly like  lighting and a tripod. So it would have to be something where I was planning on using the camera and brought a large camera bag and a tripod.

After thinking about it I am just not sure how often that would happen, it's much more likely that I would think hey I could take a picture of that, and if I had the camera in my shirt pocket or in my glove box then I might be able to use it. That would happen much more frequently.

That knocks me down to the point and shoot cameras.

I was looking at the cameras with more pixels, but I read one review that said that when you get over around 12 Megapixels that a lot of cameras just crammed more pixels on the same photo cell which gives you a lower quality picture. So who needs that.

The point and shoot cameras I am looking at are these:

Canon - PowerShot A2500 16.0-Megapixel Digital Camera

Best Buy  Sale: $85.99
with free SanDisk - 4GB Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 4 Memory Card
(but they were out of stock when I tried to pay for my order)
odd, but no tax when deliver to the store.

Walmart
Canon Black PowerShot A2500 Digital Camera with 16 Megapixels
$84.99
Tax  $6.80
Order Total  $91.79

and no memory card.

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/compacts/best_compact_digital_camera.shtml - this guy likes the Canon better than the Nikons for the point and shoot cameras.

The more I think about it the more I think I need to buy a $100 camera and see how much I use it, if I set it up with a tripod and start shooting a lot of video then I can look into buying a more expensive camera.

The PowerShot A2500 can shoot HD movies at 720p resolution at 25 frames per second. Movies are encoded at an average bit rate of 18Mbits/s encoded in the H.264 format and saved as Quicktime.mov files.

I would like something that does 1080p but I am not sure I want to pay a whole lot more for it right now.


No comments: